Browsing Images maps and plans by Title
Now showing 1 - 20 of 42
Results Per Page
- ItemBacon's new large-scale map of South Africa showing all the latest discoveries, new boundaries, railways, roads, etc.(Bacon, 1890) Bacon's Geographical Establishment.Map of Southern Africa, south of the Zambesi River. Issued after the incorporation of the British South Africa Company but before Zimbabwe came to be called Rhodesia.
- ItemDonaldson & Hill's stand map of Johannesburg; from W. H. Auret Pritchard's Commercial map.(Donaldson & Hill, 1898) Donaldson & Hill. Firm.; Pritchard, W. H. AuretShows the stand number of each stand/plot in Johannesburg
- ItemDonaldson and Hill's map of Johannesburg and suburbs.(Donaldson and Hill, 1898) Donaldson & Hill. Firm.The map at the bigger scale is of the CBD and the scale was given in Cape feet ; the map at the smaller scale is of the whole of Johannesburg and the scale was given in English feet. Dated from Grocott & Sherry's Plan of Johannesburg and suburbs, 1898, compiled in 1897, which has the same details as this one.
- ItemEersteling sketch , 9th Dec 1871(1871-12-09) Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875Pencil inscription on sketch: "Gold washing in the rivulet at Eesterling the farm of Mr Edward Button, the Gold Commissioner of Waterberg Marabas County and Zoutpansberg - Transvaal Republic. A small nugget was found this morning in this cradle." The sketch shows two cradles in the foreground. The diary entry for Dec 8th (Northern Goldfields diaries. v. 3, p.762) reads: "Near the house in a deep gully ... with a small rill damned up to retain water, were two cradles ... " There are faint notes in pencil on the sketch indicating colours. Possibly Baines planned in turning the sketch into a painting.
- ItemEersteling sketch , 9th Dec 1871(1871-12-09) Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875Pencil inscription on sketch: "Quartz reef discovered by Mr E. Button on his farm Eesteling or first fruits - (Natalia reef)". Diary entry for Dec. 8th (North Goldfields diaries. v.3 p.762) "... another hundred yards more west Mr Ash, with a gang of Kaffirs [sic], was engaged in breaking out quarts from the reef ... " There are faint pencil notes on the sketch indicating colours. (See Historical Papers Hp 216)
- ItemEersteling sketch , 11th Dec 1871(1871-12-11) Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875Pencil inscription on sketch: "Quartz digging on Natalia reef on Mr E. Button's farm Eersteling (or Firstling) - Maraba's Country S-African Republic. Mr Button choosing the first wagon load of quartz to be sent to the SAGF & Co in England." Diary entry (North Goldfields diaries. v. 3. p. 763), dated 11th Dec. reads: Brought up a hired wagon (Mr Dyason's) and loaded up about a ton of quartz ..." p. 764" ... He names his reef Natalia." There are faint pencil notes on the sketch indicating colours.
- ItemEersteling sketch , 11th Dec 1871(1871-12-11) Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875Pencil inscription on sketch: "Long Tom in the rivulet on Mr Buttons farm Eersterling (or Firstling) about 300 yards from the Natalia Reef. The diary entry for 11th Dec. (Northern Goldfields diaries. v. 3 p. 764 ) reads: " He names reef Natalia, and has been most of the day levelling ground and plaiting sluice boxes ... There is a 'long tom' at work in the rivulet ... " There are faint notes in pencil on the sketch indicating colours.
- ItemEersteling sketch , 12 th Dec 1871(1871-12-12) Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875Pencil inscription on text: "Buttonhill 229, Izerberg nearest peak - 264. Part of the Waterberg Range North East of Makepan's- poort - the ridge of the hills or watershed forms the boundary between the Waterberg and Zoutpansberg districts from Mr Goodwins farm in Zoutpansberg - Decr 12 - 1871 -". The diary entry, 12 Dec 12th (Northern Goldfields diaries v. 3, p. 765) reads: " I sketched the Izerberg, or Iron Mountain ... Diary entry, 7th December p. 761 reads: " ... One sharp peak and then another, which we concluded were the Izerberg ... Button Hill is visible to the South ..." Ther are faint notes on the sketch indicating colours. (See Historical Papers Hp 219)
- ItemErsteling [sic] : the first gold mine in the Transvaal, 1870(2012-11-20)Original contemporary pen and ink sketch of Eersteling, the first payable gold mine in the Transvaal, established by Edward Button in 1870. From Button Family sources and the Collection of Dennis Godfrey (See Historical papers HP 695). Verso inscription "... sent by Mrs Parker Button, 40 Kerk St. Johannesburg. [Addressed to] Mrs Westgate 20 Harrow Road, Yoeville.
- ItemEx libris: Nadine Gordimer(1965) Kentridge, William, 1955-; Gordimer, Nadine, 1923-2014Commissioned from William Kentridge by Nadine Gordimer (1965?). Item can be found in Patrick White. The Cockatoos. London : Jonathan Cape, 1974. EARLY PR 9619.3 WHI. She appears to have stopped using the bookplates around 2000.
- ItemInsurance plan of Johannesburg: South African Republic, South Africa, September 1895(Chas. E. Goad., 1910) Chas. E. Goad, Ltd.Printing of 1895 updated with new sheets and revision stickers issued in June 1910 and with subtitle: Transvaal Colony. South Africa ... The activities or company name on each erf (stand) in every block in the central and commercial areas of Johannesburg are shown.
- ItemInsurance plan of Johannesburg: Transvaal Province, South Africa, January 1938(Chas. E. Goad., 1938-01) Chas. E. Goad, Ltd.The activities or company name, on each erf (stand), in every block, in the central and commercial areas of Johannesburg are shown. The files are named after the streets appearing at the top of each sheet. Each sheet shows four streets to the south of this and four east to west.
- ItemL'Africa diuisa nelle sue parti secondo le pui moderne le pui relationi collo scoperte dell'origine del Nilo(Doninico Padoani, 1691) Coronelli, Vincenzo, 1650-1718Map has a cartouche at top right corner giving the scales. In the centre of Africa is a cartouche explaining the source of the Nile. At the left base is the title cartouche with a dedication.
- ItemMap of Johannesburg: showing the municipal boundaries defined by the Johannesburg Municipal Proclamation No. 16 of 1901 & the proposed extension of the municipal boundaries.(Unknown, 1902) Transvaal (Colony). Johannesburg Municipal Boundaries Commission, 1902.; Duncan, Patrick, 1870-1943 (Chairman)Gives the boundaries of Johannesburg. Issued as appendix A of Transvaal (Colony). Johannesburg Municipal Boundaries Commission, 1902. Report
- ItemMap of parts ii, iii & iv of the Witwatersrand Magisterial District: showing electoral divisions ...(Government Printer, 1908) South Africa. Surveyor General's Office; Gilfillan, M. S.; Melvill, B.Names of parts. 2. Braamfontein; 3. Doornfontein: 4 Klipriviersberg.. Compiled and drawn in the Surveyor General's Office. B. Melvill, Chief Draftsman ; M. S. Gilfillan, Surveyor General. This is plate 7 which was issued with 'The government of South Africa' (1908), as well as a Chart of the Electorial Divisions of British Southern Africa, showing the populations of each Colony. It would have provided information for the 1908 National Convention to form the Union of South Africa.
- ItemMap of portion of the Lydenburg District(London : W. W. Sprague & Co., 1904) Transvaal Gold Mining Estates, firm; Glynn's Lydenburg Gold Mining Company; Neale, A. Leggret, General ManagerShows the surveyed farms in the area, picking out in colour those operated by the Transvaal Gold mining Estates and Glynn's Lydenburg Gold Mining Company. 1904 is the estimated date of publication
- ItemA map of the extratropical part of Southern Africa / constructed by William J. Burchell(London : Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme and Brown, 1822-02-01) Burchell, William John, 1781-1863Folded map from Burchell's Travels in the interior of Southern Africa, 1822-1824. Drawn by him from his " geographical and astronomical observations made during these travels" and formed from new materials from other documents.
- ItemA map of the gold fields of south eastern Africa(Edward Stanford, 1876) Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875; Chapman, James, 1831-1872.The top map covers the area from Smithfield in the Free State to the Zambezi River. The lower map covers the area of the southern Free State, Natal and the Cape Colony. Maps issued to accompany: The gold regions of south eastern Africa / T. Baines, 1877.
- ItemMap of the Lydenburg gold fields, S.A. Republic (Transvaal)(Stanford's Geographical Establishment, 1883) Loveday, Richard KelseyMap of the Lydenburg gold fields area showing gold diggings, surveyed lines including those in dispute, approximate lines, the Portuguese line, the Swaziland line, main and other roads, kraals and farms boundaries and farm numbers. Compiled from the actual survey, inspection reports, and the best available information by R. Kelsey Loveday.