Browsing Africana Library by Author "Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875"
Now showing 1 - 6 of 6
Results Per Page
- ItemEersteling sketch , 9th Dec 1871(1871-12-09) Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875Pencil inscription on sketch: "Gold washing in the rivulet at Eesterling the farm of Mr Edward Button, the Gold Commissioner of Waterberg Marabas County and Zoutpansberg - Transvaal Republic. A small nugget was found this morning in this cradle." The sketch shows two cradles in the foreground. The diary entry for Dec 8th (Northern Goldfields diaries. v. 3, p.762) reads: "Near the house in a deep gully ... with a small rill damned up to retain water, were two cradles ... " There are faint notes in pencil on the sketch indicating colours. Possibly Baines planned in turning the sketch into a painting.
- ItemEersteling sketch , 9th Dec 1871(1871-12-09) Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875Pencil inscription on sketch: "Quartz reef discovered by Mr E. Button on his farm Eesteling or first fruits - (Natalia reef)". Diary entry for Dec. 8th (North Goldfields diaries. v.3 p.762) "... another hundred yards more west Mr Ash, with a gang of Kaffirs [sic], was engaged in breaking out quarts from the reef ... " There are faint pencil notes on the sketch indicating colours. (See Historical Papers Hp 216)
- ItemEersteling sketch , 11th Dec 1871(1871-12-11) Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875Pencil inscription on sketch: "Quartz digging on Natalia reef on Mr E. Button's farm Eersteling (or Firstling) - Maraba's Country S-African Republic. Mr Button choosing the first wagon load of quartz to be sent to the SAGF & Co in England." Diary entry (North Goldfields diaries. v. 3. p. 763), dated 11th Dec. reads: Brought up a hired wagon (Mr Dyason's) and loaded up about a ton of quartz ..." p. 764" ... He names his reef Natalia." There are faint pencil notes on the sketch indicating colours.
- ItemEersteling sketch , 11th Dec 1871(1871-12-11) Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875Pencil inscription on sketch: "Long Tom in the rivulet on Mr Buttons farm Eersterling (or Firstling) about 300 yards from the Natalia Reef. The diary entry for 11th Dec. (Northern Goldfields diaries. v. 3 p. 764 ) reads: " He names reef Natalia, and has been most of the day levelling ground and plaiting sluice boxes ... There is a 'long tom' at work in the rivulet ... " There are faint notes in pencil on the sketch indicating colours.
- ItemEersteling sketch , 12 th Dec 1871(1871-12-12) Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875Pencil inscription on text: "Buttonhill 229, Izerberg nearest peak - 264. Part of the Waterberg Range North East of Makepan's- poort - the ridge of the hills or watershed forms the boundary between the Waterberg and Zoutpansberg districts from Mr Goodwins farm in Zoutpansberg - Decr 12 - 1871 -". The diary entry, 12 Dec 12th (Northern Goldfields diaries v. 3, p. 765) reads: " I sketched the Izerberg, or Iron Mountain ... Diary entry, 7th December p. 761 reads: " ... One sharp peak and then another, which we concluded were the Izerberg ... Button Hill is visible to the South ..." Ther are faint notes on the sketch indicating colours. (See Historical Papers Hp 219)
- ItemA map of the gold fields of south eastern Africa(Edward Stanford, 1876) Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875; Chapman, James, 1831-1872.The top map covers the area from Smithfield in the Free State to the Zambezi River. The lower map covers the area of the southern Free State, Natal and the Cape Colony. Maps issued to accompany: The gold regions of south eastern Africa / T. Baines, 1877.