Browsing Africana Library by Title
Now showing 1 - 20 of 80
Results Per Page
- ItemBacon's new large-scale map of South Africa showing all the latest discoveries, new boundaries, railways, roads, etc.(Bacon, 1890) Bacon's Geographical Establishment.Map of Southern Africa, south of the Zambesi River. Issued after the incorporation of the British South Africa Company but before Zimbabwe came to be called Rhodesia.
- ItemBearings of principal military posts and remarkable peaks visible from proposed sites of signal towers at Hill S of Piet Apples Location, Great Fish River and Hill over Fraser's Camp. [Map 12](1843) Hall, Henry, 1815-1882; Great Britain. Army. Royal Engineers; Reid, JohnThe original map was by Henry Hall. This is a copy possibly by John Reid. The original signed sketch is in the Cape Archives.
- ItemCopy of a sketch of the country in the vicinity of the Amatola Mountains; from an actual survey by C. L. Stretch, Capt. P.C. Infantry. [Map 6](1835) Piers, H. W.; Stretch, Charles Lennox, 1797-1882.; Great Britain. Army. Royal EngineersThe area depicted here fell within the newly proclaimed Province of Queen Adelaide. Fort Cox, overlooking the Kieskamma River and the Amatola Valley, had been constructed in August 1835 by Captain Stretch.
- ItemDesign for a detached skittle-alley for RE barracks, K.W. Town [Map 37](1866-03-03) Thorold, Reginald Gother; Great Britain. Army. Royal Engineers
- ItemDonaldson & Hill's stand map of Johannesburg; from W. H. Auret Pritchard's Commercial map.(Donaldson & Hill, 1898) Donaldson & Hill. Firm.; Pritchard, W. H. AuretShows the stand number of each stand/plot in Johannesburg
- ItemDonaldson and Hill's map of Johannesburg and suburbs.(Donaldson and Hill, 1898) Donaldson & Hill. Firm.The map at the bigger scale is of the CBD and the scale was given in Cape feet ; the map at the smaller scale is of the whole of Johannesburg and the scale was given in English feet. Dated from Grocott & Sherry's Plan of Johannesburg and suburbs, 1898, compiled in 1897, which has the same details as this one.
- ItemEersteling sketch , 9th Dec 1871(1871-12-09) Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875Pencil inscription on sketch: "Gold washing in the rivulet at Eesterling the farm of Mr Edward Button, the Gold Commissioner of Waterberg Marabas County and Zoutpansberg - Transvaal Republic. A small nugget was found this morning in this cradle." The sketch shows two cradles in the foreground. The diary entry for Dec 8th (Northern Goldfields diaries. v. 3, p.762) reads: "Near the house in a deep gully ... with a small rill damned up to retain water, were two cradles ... " There are faint notes in pencil on the sketch indicating colours. Possibly Baines planned in turning the sketch into a painting.
- ItemEersteling sketch , 9th Dec 1871(1871-12-09) Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875Pencil inscription on sketch: "Quartz reef discovered by Mr E. Button on his farm Eesteling or first fruits - (Natalia reef)". Diary entry for Dec. 8th (North Goldfields diaries. v.3 p.762) "... another hundred yards more west Mr Ash, with a gang of Kaffirs [sic], was engaged in breaking out quarts from the reef ... " There are faint pencil notes on the sketch indicating colours. (See Historical Papers Hp 216)
- ItemEersteling sketch , 11th Dec 1871(1871-12-11) Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875Pencil inscription on sketch: "Quartz digging on Natalia reef on Mr E. Button's farm Eersteling (or Firstling) - Maraba's Country S-African Republic. Mr Button choosing the first wagon load of quartz to be sent to the SAGF & Co in England." Diary entry (North Goldfields diaries. v. 3. p. 763), dated 11th Dec. reads: Brought up a hired wagon (Mr Dyason's) and loaded up about a ton of quartz ..." p. 764" ... He names his reef Natalia." There are faint pencil notes on the sketch indicating colours.
- ItemEersteling sketch , 11th Dec 1871(1871-12-11) Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875Pencil inscription on sketch: "Long Tom in the rivulet on Mr Buttons farm Eersterling (or Firstling) about 300 yards from the Natalia Reef. The diary entry for 11th Dec. (Northern Goldfields diaries. v. 3 p. 764 ) reads: " He names reef Natalia, and has been most of the day levelling ground and plaiting sluice boxes ... There is a 'long tom' at work in the rivulet ... " There are faint notes in pencil on the sketch indicating colours.
- ItemEersteling sketch , 12 th Dec 1871(1871-12-12) Baines, Thomas, 1820-1875Pencil inscription on text: "Buttonhill 229, Izerberg nearest peak - 264. Part of the Waterberg Range North East of Makepan's- poort - the ridge of the hills or watershed forms the boundary between the Waterberg and Zoutpansberg districts from Mr Goodwins farm in Zoutpansberg - Decr 12 - 1871 -". The diary entry, 12 Dec 12th (Northern Goldfields diaries v. 3, p. 765) reads: " I sketched the Izerberg, or Iron Mountain ... Diary entry, 7th December p. 761 reads: " ... One sharp peak and then another, which we concluded were the Izerberg ... Button Hill is visible to the South ..." Ther are faint notes on the sketch indicating colours. (See Historical Papers Hp 219)
- ItemErsteling [sic] : the first gold mine in the Transvaal, 1870(2012-11-20)Original contemporary pen and ink sketch of Eersteling, the first payable gold mine in the Transvaal, established by Edward Button in 1870. From Button Family sources and the Collection of Dennis Godfrey (See Historical papers HP 695). Verso inscription "... sent by Mrs Parker Button, 40 Kerk St. Johannesburg. [Addressed to] Mrs Westgate 20 Harrow Road, Yoeville.
- ItemEx libris: Nadine Gordimer(1965) Kentridge, William, 1955-; Gordimer, Nadine, 1923-2014Commissioned from William Kentridge by Nadine Gordimer (1965?). Item can be found in Patrick White. The Cockatoos. London : Jonathan Cape, 1974. EARLY PR 9619.3 WHI. She appears to have stopped using the bookplates around 2000.
- ItemGeneral plan: sketch shewing postion of posts, signal towers &c. &c. [Map 30](1859-12-08) Tatham, R. B.; Smith, Percy; Bolton, Daniel, 1794-1860.; Great Britain. Army. Royal Engineers; Great Britain. Army. Cape of Good Hope Command. Eastern Province Division; Fanshawe, CharlesThe military posts, in the Districts of Albany and Beaufort in the Eastern Cape, are shown on this map.
- ItemInsurance plan of Johannesburg: South African Republic, South Africa, September 1895(Chas. E. Goad., 1910) Chas. E. Goad, Ltd.Printing of 1895 updated with new sheets and revision stickers issued in June 1910 and with subtitle: Transvaal Colony. South Africa ... The activities or company name on each erf (stand) in every block in the central and commercial areas of Johannesburg are shown.
- ItemInsurance plan of Johannesburg: Transvaal Province, South Africa, January 1938(Chas. E. Goad., 1938-01) Chas. E. Goad, Ltd.The activities or company name, on each erf (stand), in every block, in the central and commercial areas of Johannesburg are shown. The files are named after the streets appearing at the top of each sheet. Each sheet shows four streets to the south of this and four east to west.
- ItemJunction of the Little with the Great Fish River, right bank as far as Kooste's Drift in front of Grahamstown. [Map 5](1824-04-03) Stretch, Charles Lennox, 1797-1882.; Great Britain. Army. Royal EngineersMap shows part of the area of the Deputy-Drosty of Albany between the Great and Little Fish Rivers and the Suurberg mountains (Zuureberg). Grahamstown is shown as well as abandoned military posts.
- ItemKing William's Town - British Kaffraria - Rough block plan, to shew the site of the military stores, proposed to be erected, coloured in yellow. [Map 28](1857-11-26) Molesworth, Morgan Crofton; Dill, Marcus; Bolton, Daniel, 1794-1860.; Jackson, James (Sir), 1790-1871.; Great Britain. Army. Royal EngineersSimple plan of King William's Town showing military stores to be erected.
- ItemKing William's Town, British Kaffraria. [Map 31](1859-12-07) Gubbins, Francis R.; Tyler, Edward Saumerez; Bolton, Daniel, 1794-1860.; Great Britain. Army. Royal EngineersResidential properties are shown, their owners and inhabitants listed.
- ItemKing William's Town; plan shewing Military Reserve (bounded by red) and proposed extension (in yellow); called for by War Office memo 4th September 1863. Natal 8/110. [Map 36](1863-11-23) Crozier, Henry; White, Henry Arthur; Great Britain. Army. Royal EngineersThis plan shows the extent of the Military Reserve in 1863.