Plan of the old and new line of road between Fort Beaufort and flat-roof house. [Map 13]
Great Britain. Army. Royal Engineers
The map shows the Kat River's east bank and section of a new road being built by the Royal Engineer's between 1837, when Fort Beaufort was founded, and 1845. Garson (1992) attributes the copy to Private John Reid.
Unsigned. - Scale of 1000 yards = 1 inch [1:36,000] . - 1 coloured manuscript map in ink on fine wove paper; 45 x 28 cm. - Orientation: magnetic north. - Grahamstown Royal Engineers office stamp 1861; B33; B39 crossed out; B39 on verso. - Ms note: The new road is marked in yellow. - Pencil calculations. Copy damaged upper right corner. Text reads with the south as the top of the map.
Fort Beaufort , Kat River